Friday, July 06, 2007

I'm a big bad hunter

I capped another possum.

This one had managed to get up under our shower and was busy gnawing his way through the bottom of the fiberglass.

My wife puts out some food on the back porch for stray cats and I figured that had also attracted the destructive critter and eventually I would catch the bugger in the act. Sure enough she calls out "if you want to get that possum he's out there eatin right now". I peaked out the door lite and there-it-was. It was young and cute. I'm a sucker for cute but this one is chewing up my house.

I ran into the bedroom and grabbed the 12 gage' emptied out the mankiller rounds I keep loaded in it and put in some 7-1/2 buck. Snuck around the house. Possums are not the brightest things. The thing climbed up the rail of the stair and perched on the bannister looking down at me, with what I thought was hope in it's eyes. I apologized to it, took aim. Blam!!! Not so bad that 7-1/2 shot. Oops it is still wiggling. I let it die. Then put on a glove and went out and picked it up by it's tail and man-o-man. Not a clean kill at all. I will spare the gory details because.....they are gory.

I tossed him/her(I didn't look) and cried as I walked back to my house.

I really didn't want to kill it...but had to.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really just need a stronger class of stray cat. A good cat can even keep raccoons away.

LibertyBob

ron said...

I think a bob cat could take a possum but they are incredibly mean.

Al said...

The bobcat or the possum?

I don't think you could fight with a bobcat the way you did with "Sweetybaby." Not if you wanted to keep your arm, anyway.

On another point, at least that 7 1/2 "buck" shot won't do much damage to your house. Wouldn't do much damage to a buck either.

Blind 'im maybe.

ron said...

lol. Possums are mean. They are like 30 pounds of solid muscle. And crazy to boot. They don't exhibit the same caution as a other critters. The last one was very young weighing in at at 3 or 4 pounds and was up on the porch with full grown stray cats and the cats were afraid of it. The full grown possums I have seen are about twice the size of the cats.
I know some of these cats have fought with possums from the wounds I have seen on the cats. I don't think the possums lost a fight yet.
I'd put a full grown large dog up against a possum or one like a Jack terrier but most house cats won't be able to cut it.
Bob cats aqnd their related cousins run about 50 Lbs so they could handle a possum easy not to mention they are full blown predators not like domesticated animals.